Sunday, August 31, 2008

Praying Throught the Storm

My heart is so heavy for those who have once again left behind their homes in New Orleans in hopes to return soon and have something still standing. I can't even begin to imagine how they must feel and I feel like I am on the verge of tears everytime I hear the name Gustav. It's funny how something like a storm can take on such a personality. A week ago it was just something out in the water but now, in what seems like overnight, it's become some mean, raging bully, ready to destroy anything in it's path.

We all visited New Orleans a couple of weekends ago. I'd never been before. I was so surprised by it all. I was expecting something ugly. Something dirty. It's up there with Las Vegas as a notorious "Sin City" to me and I can honestly say I walked away with a comepletely different feeling about that place. I have never in my life visited a place so welcoming. I think every person we met was smiling and called you "Honey" or "My Baby" in the words of Miss Patty Cakes, the incredible chef at La Pavilion where we stayed. It was truly a remarkable place with such charisma!!! I'd loved every second of it and just to stay a couple of hours later, Jimmy and I passed on our hour & 15 minute plane ride and drove 6 hours home with a friend. I really did *heart* that place.

We have spent the last couple of weeks since returning home talking about another trip. We were thinking of going in mid-September. Jimmy and I had such a sweet time while we were there and wanted so badly to go back. I doubt we will. There's no telling what or if there will be a New Orleans at the end of the week. Again, my heart breaks for those people. They were so great. Everyone from the bell hop at our hotel to the cab drivers and dealers (at the casion that is). I can't imagine the hurt and fear they must be experiencing.

Lord, I pray you wrap your arms around all of those who have left their homes again. I pray that everyone has evacuated and those that have not will be kept safe. Lord, I pray such peace over their spirits tonight. I pray that every single baby, toddler, child, adolescent is out of there. I pray that you just comfort every single one of them. Lord, only You are capable of such greatness and only You know what is to come. Lord, I pray that as a city we can again take in and house those that are homeless now and maybe permanently. Lord, in all that is to come, I pray that those lost will find You and those uncertain will know that You are near.

I will be glued to my tv and to CNN for the next 48 hours. Let's lift those in Gustav's path up.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you sista! John's entire family lives there. Only a few from Homma have been forced to leave. They went to his grandparents home which is in Lafayette but we are checkin in with them every few hours. Please keep them in your prayers as well.