Wednesday, January 10, 2007

...patience...

How do you teach a child (okay, a 2 year old) patience? This is something I have been struggling with for a few days. I know he's too young to understand it, but is there something I can be doing now to help him? I have looked this up in books and kinda come up empty. I'm trying to set a better example for him (something I have been praying about daily), but can I do anything more?

I try to make him wait for a minutes after asking for something, but then he starts whining. For example, this morning I was doing my bible study when he asked "more please". He was out of juice and asked very nicely for more. I said okay and set the juice down just long enough for me to remove the two Bibles from my lap and the binder holding my study. JD immediately started throwing a fit, not understanding that it takes a second to stand up. I thought ok...if I make him wait to try and teach him to be patient he's just going to whine and cry. Once I finally get the drink he's going to think that by whining and crying he gets his way. So what's a mom to do...

Patience is a gift from God. This I can personally attest to. It is also an inherited trait, just one more reason to set that example. I inhertied my dad's patience, which isn't something to brag about. Luckily, I have a little of my mom thrown in so I'm not a complete lost cause. There's also the big man upstairs on my side, so maybe I'll eventually get this right. As I've mentioned before, I am doing a study about the fruit of the spirit, one of those being patience. I can't wait until we study that part of the spirit by itself. I know God will open my eyes even more. Until then...I will keep praying for not only my patience but for the patience of my little one.

Colossians 1:11-12
being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father...

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law.

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

No comments: